26 August 2012

Day 174: Wine cellar

We had this idea of building a wine cellar under the stairs. I designed a simple concrete wall with cylindrical holes cut in to house each bottle.  However, what seems simple in theory is rarely ever simple in construction. After exploring the various methods to make holes in concrete my builder constructed a sample wall using plastic pipes as place holders. The pipes needed to be well oiled using the correct releasing agent, or otherwise they broke the edges of the concrete when taken out.


The sample wall showing the required end result.



Drilling holes in the shutter work to ensure the correct position of each cylindrical opening.


Shutter work in position to receive concrete infill.

Now, we need to wait and see. I will post an update as soon as the shutter boards are removed. I hope you are as curious as I am…  

No comments:

Post a Comment